This could be called a side dish, but really it is more of a salad. It is filling, beautiful and makes a nice accompaniment to grilled meats. Our family also enjoys it with tacos and fajitas.
The lightness of the vinaigrette and the nuttiness of the brown rice pair perfectly with the crunchiness of the fresh garden zucchini, radishes and green onions. The salad can be made up to a day in advance which makes it perfect for your summer parties and barbecues. Because it does not contain any dairy, it’s a welcome addition to those outside festivities.
RICELAND BROWN RICE SALAD WITH LIME-CUMIN VINAIGRETTE
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Riceland long-grain brown rice
- 2 zucchini or yellow squash, ends trimmed, shredded
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 radishes, shredded
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup roasted pepitas
- 6 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Brain Oil
- 6 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions or by my easy oven preparation (HERE).
- While rice is cooking, prepare vinaigrette. Whisk oil, lime zest, lime juice, honey, cumin and ground chipotle in a large bowl.
- Toss fully cooked rice with vinaigrette until well coated; allow to cool 15-20 minutes.
- Shred zucchini or yellow squash using a box grater, mandolin or food processor. Place shredded zucchini in a clean kitchen towel and twist tightly to remove excess liquid.
- Shred radishes; set aside.
- Toss zucchini, black beans and half of the radishes, half of the cilantro and half of the green onions with rice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with roasted pepitas and remaining radishes and cilantro just before serving.