Reminiscent of a Spanish paella or a Creole jambalaya, this Chicken, Sausage, Shrimp, Artichoke and Rice Skillet Dinner can be on your table in 30-45 minutes. It can be personalized to your taste easily by using your preferred meat combinations. No shrimp. No problem. Just add more chicken. If possible, use the andouille since it deepens the flavor profile of the dish. However, any combination of these meats will still make a delicious dish for your family.
Who doesn’t love a meal that can be prepared in about half an hour in basically one dish! Full of flavor, color, texture and nutrition this is one dish that is sure to become a favorite among your friends and family. It can be made ahead and reheated just before serving, adding additional broth if needed.
The addition of the artichokes and saffron make it just a little exotic, don’t you think? You can, if you absolutely must, use tumeric in place of the saffron, but it change the flavor of your dish somewhat. There is no real replacement for the flavor of saffron.
While I used long-grain white rice, Riceland Gold Preferred™ works as well.
CHICKEN, SHRIMP, SAUSAGE, ARTICHOKE AND RICE SKILLET DINNER
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided use
- 1 cup Riceland Long-Grain White Rice™
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil™
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices cut across the grain
- 8 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into 1/4-inch slices (substitute hickory smoked sausage)
- 15-18 medium shrimp, peeled, heads and tails removed, deveined
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 14.5-ounce can Rotel™ Tomatoes and Green Chiles (We use Hot.)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 15-ounce can small artichoke hearts (not marinated)
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups broth with rice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and microwave until rice is softened and most of the broth is absorbed, about 10-12 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking. Set aside.
- In a large cast iron skillet or 5-quart braiser, heat 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add in chicken slices; season with salt and pepper.
- Cook until lightly browned on all sides, about 2-3 minutes; drain on paper towels.
- Add sausage slices to skillet and lightly brown; drain on paper towels with chicken.
- Lightly brown shrimp in the skillet on both sides; set aside with chicken and sausage.
- Return skillet to heat; add 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until transparent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saffron to onion, cook until fragrant, 20-30 seconds..
- Add Rotel™, rice and 1/2 cup broth to skillet. Add red pepper flakes, if using.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a slow simmer and cook until rice is tender and liquid has been absorbed, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in artichoke hearts, chicken, sausage, shrimp and peas. Stir frequently until meat and rice are heated through.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with crusty garlic bread, if desired.
By The Women Bloggers member Debbie Arnold of DiningwithDebbie.net.