Summer is always busy, right? There’s vacation, pool time, ball games, gardening—-adventures to be taken and memories to be made. This Pea and Rice Salad with Rice Bran Oil Vinaigrette is a great one to make ahead for those days when you’d rather be out playing than cooking.
The preparation of the salad just couldn’t be any easier. Plus, since it does not contain any dairy, it makes a terrific dish for those summertime celebrations: picnics, family reunions, church supper and pool parties we all enjoy so much.
In addition to the ease of preparing the boil-in-bag rice, much of this salad includes fresh-from-the-garden produce, making use of those abundant harvests many of us get to enjoy. While I’ve used canned black eyed peas, purple hulls work just as well. You can also substitute cooked fresh or frozen ones which I sometimes do by using the leftovers from a big batch previously prepared.
Riceland Rice Bran Oil is the perfect choice for this vinaigrette. It’s light flavor pairs especially well with the light rice vinegar. Apple cider or wine vinegars could easily overpower the flavor of the dressing.
It’s colorful. It’s light. It’s easy. I think that’s a great way to celebrate summer, don’t you?
Celebrate Summer Pea and Rice Salad with Rice Bran Oil Vinaigrette
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 bag Riceland Long Grain White Boil-in-Bag Rice, prepared according to package directions.
- 1 15-ounce can purple hull or black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped English cucumber or Mini-Dukes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot rounds
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 jalapeño, minced
- 3/4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1/4 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside to cool.
- Drain and rinse peas; place in a medium bowl. Add in bell pepper, cucumber, carrot, red onion, celery, jalapeño and parsley.
- Add in about 3/4 of the bag of rice — or use it all if you prefer; Stir well and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Rice Bran Oil, rice vinegar and sugar. Pour over salad ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and allow to marinate at least 4 hours and up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Note: This salad will keep well several days.