Ever have a good intention to invite people over but then you end up tired, overwhelmed, and intimidated with the whole idea so you call it off?
One way to take the stress out of having people over is to create meals that can be done in advance. The stove and warmer can do all the work for you while you spend time with your loved ones. This counts for weeknight dinnertime as well. Make a double batch of these Mexican rice-stuffed chicken rolls, bake and then freeze for a future time.
If you are new to cutting boneless chicken breasts into cutlets, you will find it is much easier than pounding with a mallet. All it takes is a small amount of practice and a steady hand. With a heavy knife, cut through the breast horizontally. This is a great tip for grilling so that your poultry is practically all the same size and will cook more evenly.
MEXICAN RICE-STUFFED CHICKEN ROLLS
- 1 bag Riceland Enriched Long Grain Rice Premium Boil-in-Bag White Rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 small carrot, minced
- 1/4th cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4th teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8th teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg – separate yolk from white
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cutlet into 12-14 pieces.
- 1/3rd cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese
1. Cook Riceland Enriched Long Grain Rice Premium Boil-in-Bag White Rice according to directions. Drain bag and set aside.
2. In small saucepan over medium heat, add butter, olive oil, onion, and garlic. Sauté for five minutes.
3. Switch heat to low. Add broth, carrot, tomato sauce, cilantro, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir and cook for five minutes. Turn off heat. Reserve 1/4th cup of sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
4. Add rice to sauce in saucepan along with ricotta cheese and egg yolk. Mix thoroughly.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
6. Spoon ricotta mixture onto each chicken cutlet and roll. Place in greased oven-safe cooking dish.
7. Dip each chicken roll in egg white and in breadcrumbs.
8. Once all chicken rolls are dipped in breadcrumbs, spoon remaining sauce over them. Top with mozzarella cheese.
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees.
10. Serve and enjoy!
Post by The Women Bloggers member Lyndi Fultz of nwafoodie who writes about the simplicity of fresh ideas when it comes to the exploration of food, eating, and enjoying life.nwafoodie is a hub for food happiness.