Holiday parties are starting and if you’re anything like me you are already starting to panic about what to bring. What can you serve that people haven’t already enjoyed at five other parties? What can you bring that will surprise and delight AND be simple to make?
Fear not, because this holiday spiced horchata recipe is a winner and one that you’ll be ecstatic to share with friends and family this year.
Horchata is a sweet and milky beverage that is usually laced with cinnamon and vanilla. This recipe adds in fresh cloves and nutmeg as well for extra spice and depth, and honey creates a more floral sweetness in addition to the sugar. While the recipe makes 8 servings, you will likely want to double it because it will go fast!
HOLIDAY SPICED HORCHATA
- 8 cups filtered water, divided
- 1 cup Riceland Plump and Tender Medium Grain Rice
- 2 cinnamon sticks, crushed
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a blender or food processor combine 4 cups of water, rice and crushed spices.
- Pulse about 10 times to break up spices further and to crush the rice.
- Pour into a bowl and allow the mixture to soak at room temperature for 4-6 hours.
- Add the remaining water, sugar, honey, vanilla, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Puree the mixture in batches until smooth, then strain through a cheesecloth or very fine mesh strainer.
- Stir to combine and chill for 4-6 hours.
- Serve cold with additional ground cinnamon sprinkled on top if desired.