When I start feeling the cool crisp air of fall, I know it’s time to put the soup on. Fall calls for comfort food and this Chipotle Chicken and Rice soup will have everyone running towards the dinner bell. It’s the perfect recipe to warm you up, on a cool day, with a spicy kick from the chipotle peppers. Not to mention, my favorite ingredient…cumin which adds an earthy, smoky bite to any rice dish.
Now that the air is cooler and the leaves are falling, cool weather outdoor gatherings are happening. There is no need to fret over what food to take to your next get-together. This soup has you covered and everyone will want the recipe. Feeding a crowd will be no problem. Football party…check, hayride…check, company coming…check, potluck…check.
Maybe you just want some comfort food on a weeknight. You can whip this recipe up with ease by using a Rotisserie Chicken. When I make Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup for my small family of three, we eat on it for days and I freeze the rest. Then when I’m in a bind on a busy weeknight, I just thaw and reheat. It makes for a perfect freezable meal.
I especially love having a bag in the freezer when I know the boys will be hunting and need something to warm their bellies on a cold day. I thaw the soup the night before and I’m good to go with a hot pot of yummy goodness when the boys come in from hunting.
Don’t forget about those really cold days. Like I’m talking super cold and there is snow on the ground. It’s a snow day! Make up a fresh batch that you can eat over and over again while you’re stuck at home. Pull a bag from your freezer so you can go out and play. Sleds, 4-wheelers, and dressing your kids (like the kid from The Christmas Story) to be warm may be the only things on your mind. You don’t have to worry because you have soup! Not just any soup…Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup.
Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup Riceland Long Grain Rice, uncooked
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 3 cups shredded cooked chicken)
- 2 tablespoons diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté carrots and celery in oil for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for an additional 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté, stirring frequently for 2 additional minutes. Add milk and soup. Stir until well combined. Add 4 cups of chicken broth, oregano, and cumin. Stir. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook rice according to package directions replacing the water with 2 cups chicken broth. Shred the chicken.
- Add cooked rice, shredded chicken, and chipotle peppers to soup mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat through.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!
No matter if it’s a beautiful cool crisp day, a fall gathering, a hunting or snow day, this super comforting, belly warming Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup will hit the spot.
Post and recipe provided by The Women Bloggers member Lacie Ring of EasyPeasyPleasy.com