This is the type of side dish that you will want to bookmark for those times when you have company coming, you are attending a potluck, or you are looking for that perfect dish that goes with just about everything. Not a cake in the traditional sense, this rice and broccoli cake is a savory riff on the sweet standby. The addition of eggs and flour give it a dense cake-like consistency that is reminiscent of a frittata. However, in this dish the rice and broccoli are the stars and everyone else is invited to bring out their best features.
Light enough to accompany delicate fish and hearty enough to stack up next to short ribs. Then again, why not skip the accompaniment and let this one shine on its own?
RICE AND BROCCOLI CAKE
- 1 bag (8 ounces) frozen broccoli florets
- Pam spray or equivalent
- 2 cups Riceland Long Grain White rice
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) salted butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- sour cream, optional
- Preheat oven to bake 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x10 baking dish with Pam spray or equivalent.
- Cook broccoli in bag or as directed. Drain and set aside.
- While broccoli is cooking, boil water and cook rice. Drain and set aside.
- Pulse broccoli in food processor and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Add rice to broccoli and mix.
- Add butter, onion powder, garlic powder, sea salt, ground pepper and flour to mix and stir thoroughly.
- Add Parmesan, eggs, and milk to bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Pour ingredients into baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden spoon inserted in middle of dish comes out clean.
- Optional, “frost” with sour cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
Arkansas Women Bloggers member Lyndi Fultz focuses on the simplicity of fresh ideas when it comes to the exploration of food, eating, and enjoying life on her blog nwafoodie.com, a hub for food happiness.