Soup is a menu staple in our home, especially as the days grow shorter and cooler. This Spicy Vegetable-Rice and Greens Soup is hearty and healthy and makes for a full meal when combined with a pan of hot cornbread or slices of crusty garlic bread.
Easy and quick to prepare, you can have this soup on your dinner table in under an hour with a little advance preparation of the vegetables. Or, you can do as I often do, and finish the cooking in a slow cooker, allowing 6 hours or so on High to finish. By cooking in an Instant Pot or similar pressure cooker, the soup can be finished off in 30 minutes or less.
I save leftover rice in my freezer just to have on hand as an addition to soups and other dishes. Our preference for this soup is Riceland Long-Grain Brown Rice, but any variety will work just as well.
The soup will keep well in the refrigerator 3-4 days. Or, do as we often do, and share a quart with a friend or neighbor.
SPICY VEGETABLE-RICE AND GREENS SOUP
Yields 8 - 10 servings
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Bran Oil
- 1 pound frozen Italian turkey meatballs
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sliced celery
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 32-ounce boxes unsalted or low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 1/2 cups quartered baby potatoes
- 2 15-ounce cans Italian diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 Tablespoon crushed Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 small cabbage cored and roughly chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups prepared Riceland White or Brown Long-Grain Rice
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Shaved Parmesan as garnish
- In a large stockpot, over medium - high heat, heat oil. Add meatballs and brown on all sides; remove from stockpot and set aside.
- Add onion, carrots and celery to stockpot; sauté 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute.
- Add meatballs, chicken broth, baby potatoes, tomatoes, black beans, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes (optional) and cabbage; stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cover; cook 20-30 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in chopped kale and rice; heat through.
- Season to taste.
- Serve warm garnished with shaved Parmesan.