We don't make mistakes; we just have happy accidents. – Bob Ross
I’m not afraid to admit that I was initially making a different recipe – one that would be a tad thicker in consistency to use elsewhere – but I’m a firm believer that great ideas frequently come from accidents, and this soup is a fine example. Busy fall nights are here, so if you are craving a fabulously flavorful soup, our quick meal/soup game is strong with this one!
This soup is green chile based, but it’s not spicy (unless you purposefully purchase hot green chiles), which makes it a great option for the entire family. It’s so packed with flavor that even adding cheese on top felt over-the-top (deliciously so)! I think a side of chips and avocado could make a great accompaniment as well!
Whether you’re looking to feed a crowd or just do meal prep to have food on hand for the week, this green chile chicken and rice chowder is just the way to do it!
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN AND RICE CHOWDER
- 2 pounds chicken breasts and/or chicken thighs
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced finely
- 2 (7 ounce) cans chopped green chiles
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- ½ cup Riceland long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Combine all ingredients EXCEPT the rice in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to medium low and simmer for 35 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and add the rice.
- Let simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender.
- While the rice is cooking, shred the chicken with two forks.
- Add the chicken back in, stir to combine, and then adjust for seasoning.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Post by Heather Disarro of Heather's Dish.