Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, it’s likely that you have not only heard about but have been tempted to purchase an Instant Pot pressure cooker. I was lucky enough to be gifted with one a few years ago, and even now I haven’t even begun to scratch the surface of what can be done. However, I have come up with a huge meal prep win: 3 ingredient taco rice!
While this taco rice makes a great base for taco bowls, the beauty of it is that it really does go with so many things. It works great as a side for enchiladas, in a burrito, or even served with some beans and a runny egg on top. The flavor is just perfect, and the texture is spot on.
Since I know you’re dying to find out, the 3 ingredients to make this Instant Pot miracle are Riceland long grain white rice, chicken or vegetable stock, and a full packet of store-bought taco seasoning. Not only does it come out to a delicious dish in the end, it’s also incredibly cost effective too!
A few cook's notes:
- I’m certainly a proponent of making homemade seasonings (like taco seasoning), but this recipe is built around using a store-bought mix. Store-bought mixes usually contain cornstarch or arrow root starch – a starch that binds the meat together and makes the sauce less runny. This recipe is created with that in mind.
- You could use water, but stock is always a good idea to create layers of flavor. I like vegetable stock myself, but chicken is great too! Make sure you use a lower sodium option since the taco seasoning will be salted.
- White rice is the best option for this due in large part to the cooking time. This recipe was not created to be used with brown rice.
3-INGREDIENT INSTANT POT TACO RICE
- 1 cup Riceland long grain white rice
- 1-3/4 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 (1.25oz) package store bought taco seasoning of choice
- Combine all ingredients in the insert of an Instant Pot.
- Place the insert into the Instant Pot.
- Place the lid on top, making sure the valve is shut.
- Set it for 3 minutes on the Manual setting.
- When the rice is cooked, allow to natural release for 20 minutes.
- Open the valve, then remove the lid. Be careful – it will still be hot!
- Stir the rice immediately, then remove from the Instant Pot insert.
- Serve immediately.
Blog post by Riceland blogger Heather Disarro of HeathersDish.com