Looking for a way to use up those ever-abundant veggies from your garden? Give this Summer Vegetable and Rice Casserole a try. It’s fresh and will brighten up any meal.
Some of my fondest memories growing up as a child revolve around my granny and her garden. She was the first person to teach me about gardening. Even as kid, there was something methodical about being in her garden. Granny was a big reason why I love my vegetables.
I don’t know about you, but someone is always giving me vegetables from their garden throughout the summer. That’s probably the reason I don’t plant my own garden. My in-laws and Pops keep me continually stocked with veggies. Even if I run out I can always swing on by and get more. I really enjoy stopping by Pop’s garden when he not home and taking selfies in his garden and sending them to him.
Whether you grow your own garden or are getting great freebie veggies, you must be looking for new ways to use those veggies. I mean, I love a fresh salad and fried zucchini all day long but my taste buds love new flavors. This Summer Vegetable and Rice Casserole is a great way to combine some of your favorite flavors, favorite foods and use up that garden bounty.
Here are a couple quick tips before you get started….
- Cook the rice in chicken broth instead of water. Flavors the rice up with no extra steps.
- If you have a mandolin, use it. You’ll have your veggies sliced in no time with precision cuts every time.
- Did you know salt will make zucchini soggy? Yep, it sure will if you add salt to zucchini before its cooked. Do not add salt to the zucchini before you cook it. You can add salt to taste after it’s cooked.
Summer Vegetable and Rice Casserole
- 1 cup uncooked Riceland extra long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 2 ½ quart baking dish. Cook rice according to package directions, replacing the water with chicken broth. Mix together oregano, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir half the seasoning into rice along with bell pepper and onion. Add salt to taste. Pour rice into baking dish. Sprinkle half the cheese over rice. Arrange half the zucchini in overlapping rows over rice. Dot with half the butter and half of the remaining seasoning. Repeat layer with the rest of the zucchini, butter and seasoning. Top zucchini with tomato slices and remaining shredded cheese. Bake covered for 20 mins. Uncover and bake for an additional 10 mins or until cheese melted and bubbly. Top with chopped fresh parsley. Eat and Enjoy.
Post and recipe provided by Lacie Ring of EasyPeasyPleasy.com