Easter is just a couple of weeks away. Have you started planning your meal? If you love asparagus and I know you obviously love rice, this Asparagus Rice Salad is a must try. It is a fresh and vibrant recipe for Spring. Grab a fork and dig in!
Easter is a special day of year for all sorts of reasons. But food is the common denominator. No matter the reason you get together and celebrate Easter, there is always food involved.
In my family, we sometimes venture away from the normal cuisine and go for a pork butt or fried chicken. For the most part we stick with good old ham and this Asparagus Rice Salad is the perfect side dish.
While this recipe is perfect for Easter, it pairs well with any spring or summer meal. It’s bright and fresh with a subtle hint of dill and packs a punch with the lemon and chives.
So the recipe is straight up which is pretty easy, but I can make it even easier or at the very least, quicker. Check out my alternative cooking method to prep ingredients ahead.
A Day Ahead...
Cook your rice according to package directions.
Trim and cut asparagus. Trimming asparagus is super easy. Grab both ends and bend. Where the asparagus breaks it tells you where to trim the bunch.
Mix the dressing.
Prepare a large bowl of ice water. Cook asparagus in a pot of low boiling water for 3 to 5 mins. Transfer asparagus to ice bath. Strain and place in large mixing bowl.
Mix rice, asparagus and dressing until well combined.
No time to prep the day before?...
Follow the easy recipe below. Around 20 minutes the day of or instructions above will have you mixing up and ready to serve in less than 10 minutes.
Asparagus Rice Salad
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 cup uncooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
- 2 bunches asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 lemons, 1 for juice and 1 for wedges
- salt and pepper
- Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, chives and dill in bowl. Set aside.
- Pour 4 cups of water into a large saucepan.
- Add the rice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a pinch of black pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cover reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, replace the lid, and continue to cook for an additional 5 mins.
- Drain in a fine mesh sieve. Rinse under cold water, stirring gently to remove excess water.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the juice of 1 lemon and chive dressing. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.
Eat immediately or store in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Recipe and photos provided by EasyPeasyPleasy.com