Rice is one of those versatile foods that is delicious as a side dish, tasty when combined with vegetables or protein for a one-pot meal, or snackable when rolled up with complimentary ingredients for an appetizer. Rice is the perfect food - and don’t forget to serve rice pudding for dessert!
Before we get lost in all the many ways that rice is the perfect pantry food, let’s spend a moment talking about serving rice rolled up with complimentary ingredients as an appetizer. Rice and eggs serve as your base for a whole host of additions such as broccoli, spinach, kale, ground hamburger or turkey, pesto or ricotta cheese. There is, however, one ingredient you may not have considered. Cauliflower! That’s right. Visit any grocery store’s frozen aisle and you will find frozen rice cauliflower that is all the rage with those who are on a KETO, or low-carb diet. Cauliflower is a delicious vegetable and just happens to be a perfect compliment to rice. This recipe mixes the two together with fresh parsley and cheese and browned in oil on the stove. The best part? These cheesy rice and cauliflower balls are tasty hot or cold, so add this recipe to you next party list! (And your KETO-friends will love you for making this!)
CHEESY RICE AND CAULIFLOWER BALLS
- 2 cups precooked cauliflower rice (found in the frozen aisle)
- 1 cup precooked Riceland Long Grain White Rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- ¼ cup gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Mix cauliflower, rice, eggs, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- With your hands, form medium-sized balls of mix and roll in flour.
- In cast iron skillet over med-high heat, at oil and place each rolled ball in skillet, flipping until browned and thoroughly cooked.
- Serve and enjoy!
Post and recipe by Lyndi Fultz of nwaFoodie.