The flavors of the Cuban mojito were the inspiration for these Grilled Mojito Chicken and Cilantro-Rice Bowls with Avocado-Corn Salsa. The flavors of lime, mint and honey pair quite well with the chicken serve with everyone’s favorite Cilantro-Lime Rice. We especially like the addition of the Avocado-Corn Salsa, which can be made even tastier with fresh summer corn.
I like the ease of preparation as most ingredients can be prepped ahead of time and set aside for serving later. I also like the serving these as “bowls” since the ingredients all come together to make a colorful feast for the eyes as well as the tongue.
Grilled Mojito Chicken and Cilantro-Rice Bowls with Avocado-Corn Salsa
Ingredients for Chicken
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Fine zest of lime from limes used for juicing
- 1/2 cup light rum (substitute 4teaspoons rum extract) plus 1/2 cup water or orange juice)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 6 Tablespoons mint syrup or honey
- 1 Tablespoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked chipotle pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 limes, quartered lengthwise
- Fresh mint or parsley
Ingredients for Avocado-Corn Salsa
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small red or orange pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely diced, optional
- 1/3 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Juice and fine zest of 1 lime
Directions for Avocado-Corn Salsa
- In a cast iron skillet, over medium-high heat, grill corn to a light char. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large, resealable bowl toss together corn with remaining ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Set aside in the refrigerator until serving.
Ingredients for Cilantro-Lime Rice
- 1 cup Riceland Plump and Tender Medium Grain Rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon smoked chipotle pepper, option (added ingredient)
- zest and juice from one lime
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
Directions for Cilantro-Lime Rice: https://www.riceland.com/blog/2015/nov/13/cilantro-lime-rice/
Directions for Bowls
- In a medium bowl, whisk together lime juice, lime zest, rum or rum extract, chopped mint, mint syrup, Riceland Rice Bran Oil, salt, black pepper and smoked chipotle pepper.
- Trim the chicken breasts of any fat and pound to an even thickness for grilling. If desired, slice in half widthwise for a quicker grill.
- Place chicken in a resealable bag and pour marinade over. Seal bag and turn to distribute marinade evenly. Chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours, turning 2 times.
- Prepare Cilantro-Lime Rice. Set aside.
- Prepare Avocado-Corn Salsa; set aside in refrigerator.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade.
- Preheat a grill to medium high heat. Oil grill.
- Grill chicken turning once halfway through grilling, about 4-6 minutes per side. Baste the chicken with the reserved marinade as you grill.
- Transfer chicken to a plate or wire rack and cover with foil allowing it to rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- To serve: place a serving of Cilantro-Lime Rice in a shallow bowl. Top with sliced chicken breast pieces and a service of Avocado-Corn Salsa.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, mint or parsley as desired. Add a quarter of lime to each bowl for squeezing over.
Post by Riceland bloger Debbie Arnold of DiningwithDebbie.net.