Arkansas peaches are in their full glory during July and early August. While I freeze plenty and use lots in making Habanero-Peach Jam, eating them fresh from the local orchard or using them fresh in salads such as this one are what I prefer most.
Using Riceland’s Premium Boil-in-Bag White Rice makes creating this salad a breeze. Until I began using it, I shied away from “instant” rice. I never liked the texture or taste, but this Boil-in-Bag is every bit as delicious as its from scratch cousin and has full texture as well. Done in 10 minutes, it’s a snap to prepare. It’s my preferred rice to combine with the fresh peaches and avocado of this salad.
If you’re looking for something light but flavorful for your summer menu, then this salad is perfect for you. It’s easily made ahead and kept chilled in the refrigerator. The tartness of the lime vinaigrette only enhances the flavor or the peaches and helps to keep the avocado bright green. Because there’s no dairy and because it can be served equally as well at room temperature, this is a great choice for your summer picnics or parties.
Rice, Peach and Avocado Salad with Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 package Riceland Premium Boil-in-Bag White Rice
- Fine zest of 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot, optional
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh peach, seeded and cubed (I prefer to leave the peeling on.)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or basil
- 1/3 cup blueberries, optional
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together lime zest, lime juice, Riceland Rice Bran Oil and vinegar.
- Stir in shallot, garlic, coriander, salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly; set aside.
- Combine peaches, avocado, onion and cilantro with prepared rice.
- Toss rice mixture with vinaigrette. Serve slightly chilled or at room temperature.