It can be done: Dinner in just 30 minutes (or less). Check out these family-friendly recipes for busy weeknight meals.
Brown Rice and Black Bean Salad
Cook rice. Cook corn. Mix. Whisk. Done. Save some leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch, too!
2 cups frozen corn, cooked and drained
1 cup cooked Riceland Natural Brown Rice
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 small jalapeno, diced
1 bunch of green onions, sliced
3 tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil
Juice of one lime
1 teaspoon cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 cup crumbled queso fresco
1. Cook corn according to package directions.
2. Cook rice according to package directions.
3. Mix corn, brown rice, beans, red bell pepper, jalapeno and green onions in a large bowl.
4. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the rice bran oil, lime juice, cumin, garlic, cilantro, salt and pepper.
5. Fold dressing into the other ingredients, and top with crumbled cheese.
6. Toss all ingredients together and serve.
Brown Rice Chicken Skillet Dinner
Fewer dirty dishes means more time for enjoying dinner! This recipe uses just one skillet for a yummy meal.
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
3 cups cooked Riceland Long-grain Brown Rice
2 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran oil or canola oil
1 10-ounce package frozen Pictsweet Seasoning Blend (or 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, 1/2 cup bell pepper, 1/2 cup sliced celery)
2 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 teaspoons minced garlic)
1 pound boneless skinless chicken (breasts or thighs or a combination),* cut into 1-inch cubes.
1 15-ounce can low-sodium petite diced tomatoes with juice*
1 6-ounce can tomato paste (I prefer using double-concentrated tomato paste in a tube and will use about 1/2 cup here.)
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan, divided
- Prepare brown rice according to package directions or by following my directions for Perfectly Prepared Brown Rice. Set aside.
- Thaw spinach. Snip a small piece from one corner and squeeze the package to remove as much liquid as possible. Place the drained spinach on several layers of paper towels, wrap and squeeze until spinach is dry. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1 Tablespoon oil; add seasoning blend and sauce until softened. Add minced garlic and cook an additional 2 - 3 minutes. Remove onion and garlic mixture to a plate and set aside.
- Wipe skillet clean and heat additional 1 Tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, until it loses its pink color and is browned on all sides.
- Add in tomatoes, tomato paste, broth or water and onion-garlic mixture; bring to a slow simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add in Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Stir in rice, spinach and 1/2 cup Parmesan. Stir well and heat thoroughly over low heat.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese at serving.
*I used a 3 cups of deli rotisserie chicken, a combination of breast and thigh meat. Skip the browning if you use deli or leftover chicken.
* For variation, use different tomato varieties such as Italian Tomatoes, Stewed Tomatoes or Rotel. With Rotel, you will need to add additional broth, tomato juice or water.
Quick Red Beans and Rice
Yum! This is a kitchen staple, as it’s a complete protein, without too much fuss. It’s best served hot! Flavorful garlic can be tasted in every bite.
1 cup Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
2 cans (16 oz. each) red kidney beans, drained
6 oz. ham or smoked link sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves
Prepare rice according to package directions. In medium skillet, heat oil. Add onion, bell pepper, parsley and garlic; saute over medium heat until onions are tender. Add remaining ingredients except rice. Cook over medium heat 10-15 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Loaded Taco Bowls
This recipe is great for picky eaters, too! Sub in the ingredients your family is liking on a bed of our brown or white rice.
1 cup cooked Riceland Boil-in-Bag Brown Rice
1 Tablespoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil
2 green onions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
2-4 teaspoons prepared taco seasoning, divided use
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1-2 teaspoons freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup drained and rinsed black beans
1 rotisserie chicken breast, skinned and cubed
1/2 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes
2 Tablespoons roasted and salted pepitas
1/4 cup Mexican Crema Sour Cream*
Sliced fresh jalapeño or Serrano
Thinly sliced green onion stems
Salsa or pico de gallo
Shredded Mexican Fiesta Cheese Blend, if desired.
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Set aside 1 cup and store remainder for later use.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Cook white parts of green onions, garlic, bell pepper and red onion until just tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in corn, 2 teaspoons taco seasoning, black pepper, salt and cumin and cook 2-3 minutes longer.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in black beans, cubed chicken, tomatoes. Mix 2 teaspoons taco seasoning with 1/3 cup water. Pour over chicken mixture and warm thoroughly. Remove from heat. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Divide rice between 2 bowls and top with chicken mixture. Sprinkle cilantro over all and dollop with Mexican Crema Sour Cream.
- Garnish with green onions, tomatoes, pepitas and jalapeño slices as desired.
- Serve with lime wedges, taco sauce, salsa or pico de gallo and shredded cheese, if desired.
Note: If desired, stir 1/2 - 1 teaspoon taco seasoning into the crema.
Quick Chicken Cacciatore
The tomato sauce coating this chicken dish adds a note of comfort to this recipe! It’s heartier than you’d imagine, without being too heavy.
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 lb. boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
1 jar (14 oz.) prepared spaghetti sauce
1 can (2.25 oz.) sliced ripe olives, drained
3 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
In medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle with pepper. Cook until chicken is light brown, about 2 minutes on each side. Add onion and peppers; cook 1-2 minutes. Stir in spaghetti sauce and olives. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 10-20 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Serve over rice. (From our "Riceland Collection" cookbook)