Meal prepping is perfect for busy families, or to cut down on food waste. By planning ahead and pulling recipes that can be made in batches, you’re saving time throughout the week. Let’s start with these delicious options!
Brown Rice & Kale Salad
So not a boring desk salad. Keep the vinaigrette (or dressing of your choice) separate when preparing this ahead of time.
- 1 bag Riceland Premium Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 1 bunch fresh Tuscan kale
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 3-4 ounces gooseberries, halved (substitute well-drained mandarin oranges, if desired)
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios (substitute glazed walnuts or glazed pecans for a different flavor)
- 1- 1 1/2 teaspoons sorghum syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, grated or minced finely
- 3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar (substitute Champagne or white balsamic)
- 1/4 cup Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Prepare Riceland Premium Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice according to package directions; set aside to cool completely.
- Remove and discard kale stems; julienne kale leaves; set aside.
- Prepare the sorghum vinaigrette: In a small bowl or pint jar, whisk (or shake) together the sorghum syrup, Dijon, shallot, vinegar and Riceland Rice Bran oil until it is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, combine rice and kale; toss well to combine.
- Toss pomegranate arils, gooseberries and red onions with the kale mixture and about half of the vinaigrette.
- At serving, add additional vinaigrette as desired.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
Notes: We double or triple the vinaigrette and keep the extra on hand in the refrigerator to use as desired. Just let it come to room temperature, and shake well before using.
Add leftover deli chicken and shaved parmesan or goat cheese to make this salad a full meal.
Parmesan & Spring Vegetable Risotto
It’s a perfect excuse to use your pressure cooker! Use that hands-off cooking time to check over homework, fold some laundry or — best idea — put your feet up and relax!
10-12 stems asparagus, sliced thin, tips reserved
1 cup fresh peas
2 1/2 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil, plus 1 Tablespoon
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups Riceland’s Plump and Tender Medium Grain White Rice
4 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable broth
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4-1/2 cup dry white wine, optional (substitute more broth)
3 Tablespoons (or more) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 Tablespoons minced fresh flat leaf parsley
Shaved Parmesan, as garnish
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boiling. Add asparagus stems, reserving tips. Blanch 2-3 minutes just until softened.
- Immediately strain asparagus and place in a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
- Repeat this blanching procedure with the peas.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat asparagus tips with 1 Tablespoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil and roast on a baking sheet for 5-8 minutes just until tender.
- Remove tips from oven; set aside to cool.
- In an Instant Pot or pressure cooker, press SAUTE´; add Riceland Rice Bran Oil and heat.
- Add in shallot and sauté until just tender; add in minced garlic, cooking for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add in Riceland’s Plump and Tender Medium Grain Rice and stir 1-2 minutes to toast.
- Add in stock, butter and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Turn the Instant Pot off; secure lid in place; seal and set time to pressure cook for 7 minutes.
- After time has lapsed, vent the pressure cooker to release the pressure.
- Open the lid and stir well.
- Turn the heat to SIMMER. Add in blanched asparagus stems and peas, Cook uncovered, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes until vegetables are heated through.
- Add lemon juice and wine; stir well to combine. Stir frequently until wine is absorbed, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in cheese, salt, pepper and parsley.
- Serve garnished with asparagus tips and shaved Parmesan
Freezer Breakfast Burritos
This may be called a “breakfast” burrito, but there’s no reason you can’t have it at any time! These reheat in just a few minutes for a quick lunch, too.
1 tablespoon butter
9 large eggs, lightly beaten
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup cooked Riceland medium grain white rice
¾ lb. bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled
12 large flour tortillas
1½ cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
Sour cream and salsa for serving, if desired
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt and pepper until well combined and smooth. Add eggs to heated skillet and cook 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently with a rubber spatula, until eggs are cooked through. Remove from heat.
- Combine the scrambled eggs, rice and bacon in a medium mixing bowl and stir until well combined.
- Place some of the cheese in the center of each of the tortillas. Top with some of the egg mixture. Fold in ends of burritos and roll up to seal in filling. Wrap burritos tightly in plastic wrap and store in the freezer in freezer zip-top bags until ready to eat.
- To re-heat, unwrap burrito and place on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave 1 to 2 minutes on HIGH until filling is heated through. Serve with sour cream and salsa, if desired.
5 Ingredient Taco Bake
Yes, please! This bake is a quick way to get the staple of beans and rice into your diet. The 5 ingredients are just a starting point, add whatever your heart desires.
1 lb. lean (at least 80%) ground beef
1 package (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix
2 cups prepared Riceland Plump & Tender Medium Grain Rice
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
Shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream for serving, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch round deep dish pie plate or 8x8-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, brown the ground beef. Add the taco seasoning mix and water called for on seasoning packet and cook according to package instructions.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef mixture, rice, 1½ cups of the shredded cheese and black beans. Stir until well combined. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish and top with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and mixture is heated through.
- Cool 5 minutes; spoon into bowls to serve. Top with desired toppings, such as shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, salsa, and sour cream.
Brown Rice Cantina Bowl
It’s easy to get protein and veggies in when the meal looks this good! By making a big batch of chicken, beans and rice ahead of time, everything else is grab and go.
1 package fajita seasoning
¼ cup vegetable oil or olive oil
¼ cup water
2 chicken breasts
1 cup Riceland Natural Medium Grain Brown Rice
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 can red enchilada sauce, 10 ounce
½ cup black beans, drained
½ cup corn, drained
1 avocado, sliced or diced
4 tablespoons Pico de Gallo or salsa
4 tablespoons sour cream
1 lime, quartered
Combine fajita seasoning with oil and water in a glass dish or large plastic bag. Add Chicken, turning to coat all sides. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 mins or longer.
Replace the 2 cups of water and use 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 can of red enchilada sauce to cook the brown rice. Cook according to package directions.
Grill the fajita marinated chicken breasts on grill or grill pan until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees with an instant read thermometer. Pull chicken from heat and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice chicken against the grain.
Prep black beans, corn, avocado, and lime according to ingredient directions.
Divide cooked enchilada flavored rice among 4 bowls. To each bowl add half of a breast of sliced chicken, 2 tablespoons black beans, 2 tablespoons corn, 1 quarter of sliced or diced avocado, 1 tablespoon Pico de Gallo or Salsa, 1 tablespoon sour cream, and 1 lime quarter.
Serve, eat, and enjoy!