School’s out and summer is in session! We’ve collected some favorite recipes for hosting your best cookout yet. Keep scrolling for recipes and then invite your favorite people over.
Appetizer: Mini and Spicy Cheese Ball Bites
These rice-based bites are just right for snacking before the main dish comes out. Turn up the heat with more jalapeños or let the creamy rice flavor shine.
1 bag Riceland Boil-In-Bag white rice
2 eight-ounce blocks of cream cheese
2 cups shredded Mexican cheese mix
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons salsa (heat intensity according to your liking)
2 cups fresh cilantro, minced
Pretzel sticks, as garnish
1. Pre-cook Riceland Boil-In-Bag white rice according to instructions on box. Approximately 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool. This step can be made in advance.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, shredded cheese, onion powder, black pepper, sea salt, garlic powder and ground cumin. Cream together.
3. Add rice and salsa and mix thoroughly.
4. Form into balls and roll in cilantro.
5. Place on platter and insert pretzel sticks as “handles.”
6. Serve and enjoy!
Side: All American Creamy Rice Salad
All in on this salad! It’s simple to make with long-grain rice so you can spend less time prepping and more time outside.
2 cups Riceland Gold Parboiled Long Grain Rice, uncooked
1 1/2 cups salad dressing spread
8 teaspoons cider vinegar
8 teaspoons mustard
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
1. Cook rice according to package directions. This recipe will yield six cups of cooked rice. Let rice cool completely.
2. Combine all remaining ingredients. Mix well. Fold in cooked rice. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Note: Serves 16 people.
Main: Dad's Beset Barbecued Chicken
This mouthwatering main dish involves crispy chicken simmered in lemons and Worcestershire sauce.
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
whole chicken, cut into 6 pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
½ cup water
6 then lemon slices, quartered
3 ½ cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
1. Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken and brown on all sides.
2. Add salt, pepper, Worcestershire, ketchup, water and lemons Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
3. Stir in rice, cover and heat through. Add water if thinner consistency is desired.
Dessert: Butter Pecan Surprise
It’s a sweet, nutty pudding with rice (yes!), chilled before digging in. Such a great way to cool down in the summer heat.
1 3 5/8-ounce package instant butter pecan pudding & pie filling
2 cups milk
3 Tablespoons chopped pecans, divided
2 egg whites
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups cold cooked Riceland Plump & Tender Medium Grain Rice
1. Combine pudding mix, milk, and 1 tablespoon of pecans.
2. Mix well and chill until partially set.
3. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry.
4. Fold beaten egg whites into the pudding mixture.
5. Fold the rice into the pudding mixture.
6. Sprinkle the pudding with the remaining pecans and chill.
7. Serve cold.
From Riceland's "Golden Fork Classics" cookbook