Entertaining season is every season and these sausage and rice stuffed mini sweet pepper appetizers are great for summer, spring, fall and winter. All it requires is a few prepping of ingredients and you are ready to welcome your guests. All of the ingredients in this recipe can be prepared a day or two in advance. That leaves you plenty of time to enjoy your company after quickly assembling and popping these delicious treats in the oven.
I am a big believer in mixing flavor combinations of sweet and savory and this recipe hits multiple flavor profiles. The sweet peppers ripen with delicious flavor as it cooks in the oven and, when combined with a base of savory rice, smoky-sweet andouille sausage and cheesy goodness, you won’t need anything else to serve to satisfy your guests. Or yourself.
SAUSAGE AND RICE STUFFED MINI SWEET PEPPER APPETIZERS
- 1 Riceland Boil-in-Bag white rice package, cooked, drained and set aside
- 16 ounce bag of mini sweet peppers, halved and seeds removed
- Pam spray
- 1 pre-cooked turkey andouille sausage or similar sausage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar and jack cheese mix
- ½ tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1/4th teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8th teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8th teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8th teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to bake 350 degrees.
- Spray baking dish with Pam spray or line with parchment paper and arrange peppers on tray.
- In a medium bowl, mix sausage, cheese, parsley, salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Scoop mixture into peppers.
- Bake for 20 minutes and switch to boil for 5 minutes or until cheese starts to lightly brown. Remove from heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
Post by Lyndi Fultz of The Joy of Eating Well.