Gluten Free Hush Puppies
1 cup Riceland Whole Grain Seasoned Fish Breading
¾ cup gluten free flour blend*
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 small onion, finely chopped
¾ cup buttermilk
1 large egg, beaten
- In medium bowl whisk together dry ingredients.
- Heat oil in fryer to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together onion, milk, and egg. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir together until smooth but some lumps remain. A couple more tablespoons of buttermilk may need to be added.
- Drop batter, about 2 teaspoons at a time into hot oil until you have a dozen hush puppies. Fry for 2 minutes and then turn the hush puppies. Fry until deep golden brown, about 2 minutes longer.
- Remove hush puppies from the oil with a skimmer. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve warm.
- *1/2 cup rice flour, 3 Tablespoons potato starch, 1 Tablespoon tapioca starch, 1/2 teaspoon xantham gum. This will yield 1 cup.
NOTE: Add 1/4 cup chopped jalapenos and 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese to make Jalapeno Cheese Hush Puppies.