Browned Butter Peach Rice Pudding
Browned butter is incredibly easy and adds a sweet and toasty depth of flavor to almost anything you would use butter on. In case it isn’t obvious, this dish isn’t for the calorie counter, but it’s a perfect way to add a little sweetness and take advantage of Arkansas rice.
2 cups Riceland Long Grain White Rice
3 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 cups half-and-half
3 cups milk
1 cup butter
2 eggs, lightly whisked
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4-6 peaches, peeled and sliced
- First make the browned butter but placing the butter in a small non-reactive saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Allow the butter to melt and continue to cook, without stirring, until it slowly starts to brown.
- Pull the butter off when it becomes fragrant and begins to turn a medium amber color.
- Allow to cool while you make the rice pudding.
- For the pudding, combine the rice and water in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover for 8 minutes.
- Add the milk, half-and-half and brown sugar, stir to combine, then bring to a boil again.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- With 5 minutes left, turn on the broiler in your oven.
- Lower the heat again to low and drizzle in the eggs while stirring the rice pudding vigorously to keep the eggs from scrambling.
- Remove from the heat, add the browned butter and vanilla extract.
- Pour into a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Place the peaches on top.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes until the peaches are caramelized and done to your liking.
- Serve warm or cold.
A quick cook’s tip: if the peaches you’re using are perfectly ripe and juicy I would suggest omitting the broiling step. The broiling is simply a great way to caramelize peaches that are a tad less ripe so that they soften slightly.
Arroz con Pollo (rice and chicken)
To finish the dish, bring the chicken mixture to a boil, stir in the rice and water, reduce heat, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. If it starts to dry out and rice...
All American Creamy Rice Salad
Need an alternative to potato salad at your next big event? All American Creamy Rice Salad is a new take on an old favorite. Riceland Gold Parboiled Long Grain Rice makes this salad a winner.16 Minutes
Cheesy Broccoli and Brown Rice
The classic casserole full of cheesy whole grain brown rice. What's not to love? From the 2016 Whole Grain Sampling Day eCookbook.
Baked Rice Apple Crisp
If you are looking for the perfect comfort-food dessert for Sunday Supper, potluck, or for any night of the week, this dessert is for you.