1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 cup water
1 cup Riceland Long Grain White Rice
1/3 cup golden raisins, optional
3 cups half and half
5 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut, toasted
1 cup heavy cream, whipped with 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk, water and sugar-cardamom mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
- Stir in rice and golden raisins. Reduce heat, cover and simmer slowly until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a 4-cup measuring cup, warm half and half in the microwave.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 cup sugar, salt, vanilla and coconut extract. Slowly whisk in warmed half and half.
- Whisk egg mixture into rice mixture.
- Transfer mixture to an 8 x 8-inch casserole or to individual ramekins. Place the dish in a large roasting pan and place in oven. Carefully add very hot water to roasting pan to reach halfway up the sides of the custard dish.
- Bake until custard is set, about 1 hour for larger dishes, 45 minutes for smaller dishes. Do not overcook or custard will be tough.
- Allow custards to cool in roasting pan. Remove when cooled to wire rack to cool completely or until just warm.
- Serve warm or chilled garnished with whipped cream and toasted coconut.