2 cups long grain rice, cooked
1 lb. Italian pork sausage
1 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup poblano pepper, seeded and sliced
6 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup whole milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Monterrey cheese, shredded and divided
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups baby kale, packed (about 2 oz.)
Chopped cilantro, for garnish
Italian parsley, for garnish
Basil, for garnish
Cracker pepper, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Brown sausage in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove from pan and drain sausage. Place sausage in a large bowl and add pre-cooked rice, according to the package. Wipe skillet clean and return to heat.
3. Melt butter in skillet, add onions and poblano pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until onions are translucent and poblano peppers have softened, about 3 minutes.
4. Add peppers and onion to sausage and rice mixture. Remove skillet from heat, set aside.
5. Whisk to combine eggs, milk and sour cream in a separate bowl until smooth.
6. Stir in 1/4 cup Monterrey cheese, parmesan, garlic powder and black pepper. Add sausage to mixture, stir to combine.
7. Lastly, fold baby kale into sausage mixture. Pour into skillet, sprinkle remaining cheese.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes until set. Remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly brown.
9. Top with cilantro herb mix and fresh cracked pepper - enjoy!