1/2 cup butter, divided
50 caramels, unwrapped
1 - 10oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 - 10 oz bag mini marshmallows
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 cups crisped rice cereal (use chocolate flavored for an extra special treat)
Coarse or flake sea salt
- Spray a large 9x13 casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan melt 1/4 cup of butter. Add the unwrapped caramels and the sweetened condensed milk and stir until the caramels are melted and well combined. Turn off the heat.
- In a large pot melt 1/4 cup of butter. Add the marshmallows, stirring with a rubber spatula until melted. Add the vanilla.
- Stir the 8 cups of crisped rice cereal into the marshmallow mixture. Pour in half of the caramel mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Press the crisped rice and marshmallow mixture into the prepared casserole dish. HINT: It helps to work with wet hands to prevent the mixture from sticking to your hands as you press it into the pan.
- Pour the remaining caramel mixture onto the rice mixture in the casserole.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Allow the treats to cool at least 6 hours to overnight.
- Cut into about 20 pieces.