- 6 cups 2% milk, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup Riceland medium grain rice
- fine zest and juice of one tangerine
- 1/2 cup strawberry pureé: requires 1 quart fresh strawberries (optional)
- 1 cup canned coconut milk (shake well)
- 1 quart fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons grated, fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup chilled whipping cream
Fresh mint as garnish
Prepare ahead the strawberry pureé.
- Puree 1 quart capped strawberries in a blender.
- Cook the strawberry pureé in a slow cooker 6-8 hours on LOW until the puree has thicken.
- Cool and freeze. Use as needed in cakes, frostings, etc.
Prepare the risotto.
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk, sugar and vanilla until just simmering. Reduce heat to low, cover and keep hot.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until it becomes fragrant and is slightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Over medium-low heat, add zest and juice of tangerine and cook, stirring continually, until liquid is absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Add milk 1 cup at a time to the risotto, stirring constantly until almost absorbed, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Repeat process until the milk mixture has all been incorporated.
- Test taste. If the rice is still firm, add additional hot milk 1 cup at a time, stirring until it is absorbed. Repeat as needed until risotto is soft and creamy. This can take 30-45 minutes.
- Add 1 drop red gel food coloring, if desired.
- Remove risotto from heat and stir in coconut milk. Set aside.
- Slice 3-5 strawberries as garnish. Chop remainder. Set aside in the refrigerator
Prepare Ginger Cream.
- Combine 1/4 cup water, ginger and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Simmer until mixture is syrupy, about 5 minutes. Cool completely and add to 1 cup heavy cream.
- Using electric mixer, beat cream in cold, medium bowl until peaks form.
- (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.)
- Top Strawberry Risotto and serve garnished with fresh mint.
To serve: Spoon chopped strawberries into a small bowl or glass, top with strawberry risotto and ginger cream. Garnish with sliced strawberries and fresh mint. Risotto and chopped strawberries may also be layered.