This Lentil, Shrimp and Rice Soup has everything you need to make a complete meal. Along with rice, lentils are a staple in our pantry. Lentils are a type of pulse, as are beans, field peas, chickpeas and other legumes. When combined with a whole grain like Riceland’s Long Grain Brown Rice, lentils provide the same quality protein as meat.
We’re a soup-loving family, but when the days hint that spring is knocking at the door, I want those heavy soups we’ve been enjoying all winter to give way to lighter fare. However, spring can be fickle as we all know. So, I still want to cozy up to a warm bowl of soup and light a fire in the fireplace when that spring sunshine turns to spring sleet or snow.
Take the chill out of your day and stir up a pot of this quick, easy and nutritious soup. Serve with a side of cornbread or crackers, if desired.
Riceland Lentil, Shrimp and Rice Soup
- 4 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup 1/4-inch sliced carrots
- 1 cup 1/4-inch sliced celery
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 2 14-ounce cans unsalted diced Italian style tomatoes (with basil, garlic and oregano)
- 6 cups unsalted chicken or vegetable stock (Add additional water as needed for desired consistency.)
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano leaves or 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 large piece parmesan rind, optional
- 1 cup dried green or brown lentils, rinsed and drained*
- 3 cups shredded kale or spinach, optional
- 1 pound medium raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups cooked Riceland Long Grain Brown Rice
- 2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, optional
- 2 Tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley as garnish
- Shaved parmesan, as garnish
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, heat 4 Tablespoons of the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery to the onion and cook about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat and add the garlic. Cook until softened.
- Add in the salt, red pepper flakes, tomatoes, stock and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a simmer; cover and cook until slightly thickened.
- Stir in lentils. Continue to simmer until they are tender, 20-30 minutes. Add additional water or stock as needed.
- When lentils are done, stir in kale and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp; cook 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice and 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Check for seasonings.
- Spoon into serving bowls and garnish with parsley and parmesan as desired.
Notes: *Black lentils also work nicely, but they are more expensive and more difficult to find. Do not use red lentils as they tend to get mushy. Do not skip washing lentils as small pebbles are sometimes present.
To cook perfect brown rice every time: LINK
Blog post by DiningwithDebbie.net.