Brown Rice and Kale Salad with Sorghum Vinaigrette
1 bag Riceland Premium Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice
1 bunch fresh Tuscan kale
1/4 cup pomegranate arils
3-4 ounces gooseberries, halved (substitute well-drained mandarin oranges, if desired)
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced and coarsely chopped
1/3 cup chopped pistachios (substitute glazed walnuts or glazed pecans for a different flavor)
1- 1 1/2 teaspoons sorghum syrup
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 small shallot, grated or minced finely
3 Tablespoons white wine vinegar (substitute Champagne or white balsamic)
1/4 cup Riceland Rice Bran Oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Prepare Riceland Premium Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice according to package directions; set aside to cool completely.
- Remove and discard kale stems; julienne kale leaves; set aside.
- Prepare the sorghum vinaigrette: In a small bowl or pint jar, whisk (or shake) together the sorghum syrup, Dijon, shallot, vinegar and Riceland Rice Bran oil until it is emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- About 1/2 hour before serving, combine rice and kale; toss well to combine.
- Toss pomegranate arils, gooseberries and red onions with the kale mixture and about half of the vinaigrette.
- At serving, add additional vinaigrette as desired.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios.
Notes: We double or triple the vinaigrette and keep the extra on hand in the refrigerator to use as desired. Just let it come to room temperature, and shake well before using.
Add leftover deli chicken and shaved parmesan or goat cheese to make this salad a full meal.