Creole Shrimp and Smoked Gouda Rice Grits
For the Grits:
1 cup Riceland Long Grain Brown Rice or Riceland American Jazmine Rice, uncooked
2 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoons Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon smoked chipotle pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup cream cheese
4 ounces smoked gouda, grated
1/2 cup white wine, optional (substitute unsalted chicken stock)
Freshly cracked black pepper
For the Creole Shrimp:
6 slices Petit Jean Meats thick-sliced bacon, thinly sliced and drippings reserved
1 cup cubed andouille sausage (or more if desired)
3 Tablespoons clarified butter
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
Garnishes: bacon, andouille sausage, minced parsley, thyme and/or chives. Green onions may also be sued.
Creole Seasoning: Use your favorite brand.
Directions for Grits
- Place rice into a food processor or blender. Secure lid.
- Pulse rice until desired fineness is achieved. We like ours to have a somewhat coarse texture.
- In a large saucepan, bring stock, Liquid Smoke and cream to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Gradually stir in rice grits, whisking until smooth and creamy.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, whisking occasionally until very creamy but still with some texture, about 20-25 minutes.
- Whisk in smoked chipotle and smoked paprika. (to taste)
- Remove from heat and whisk in butter, cream cheese and gouda.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk in additional white wine as needed for creamy consistency.
- Serve topped with Creole Shrimp mixture.
For the Shrimp:
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, fry thinly sliced bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and reserve.
- In reserved bacon drippings, slightly brown andouille sausage; drain on paper toweling and reserve.
- Add clarified butter to skillet and melt. (Unsalted butter may be substituted.)
- Add red and yellow bell peppers and onions to skillet and cook until softened. Add garlic and thyme leaves.
- Remove pepper mixture from skillet and drain on paper towels; set aside.
- Thoroughly dry shrimp and coat liberally with Creole Seasoning; sear shrimp on both sides in skillet.
- Add in reserved pepper mixture and cook shrimp through. Do not overcook.
- Spoon a generous amount of rice grits into each serving bowl. Top grits with several shrimp and some of the pepper mixture.
- Garnish with reserved bacon, andouille sausage, minced parsley and chopped chives
Serve with crusty garlic bread and a side salad, if desired.