Poblano Rice & Beans with Shredded Fajita Chicken
6 poblano peppers
1/2 red onion, chopped
4 cups fresh spinach leaves, packed
1 bunch of cilantro, roughly chopped
4 garlic cloves, peeled
3 cups plus 3/4 cup chicken broth, divided
2 cups uncooked rice
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons bacon drippings (or butter)
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup red pepper, chopped
3 large zucchini, spiralized
Ground black pepper, as needed
1 (14.5 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can old navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5 ounce) can sweet corn, rinsed and drained
3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 packets (1.12 ounces each) fajita seasoning of choice
- Preheat oven to broil and move oven rack up to the top position.
- Place the poblano peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet and place on the oven rack, immediately under the broiler.
- Broil for 10 minutes on each side, then place the peppers in a large bowl and cover with foil.
- Allow to steam for about 5 minutes, then carefully remove the charred skins and seeds.
- Combine the poblano peppers, red onion, spinach leaves, cilantro, garlic cloves and 3/4 cup of chicken broth in a blender and puree.
- Set aside.
- Combine rice, butter, and bacon drippings in a very large saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook the rice until lightly browned.
- Add the poblano puree to rice and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining broth, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 20-25 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Add beans and corn, stir to combine, and then cover with a lid.
- Remove from heat and let stand 10-15 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking and cooling, add the chicken breasts to a large stock pot.
- Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of salt.
- Cover with water by an inch.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15-16 minutes until chicken is done.
- Remove from the broth and shred.
- Sprinkle the fajita seasoning evenly over the chicken and continue shredding to combine.
- Add the remaining broth to moisten if needed, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Serve the rice with the chicken, spiraled zucchini ribbons, and chopped raw red pepper.
by The Women Bloggers member Heather Disarro of Heather's Dish.