Sunday Chicken and Rice Casserole
1 fryer, cut up or a combination of chicken breasts and/or thighs, with bones and skin
1 15-ounce bottle Italian salad dressing
1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil
Nonstick cooking spray
1 envelope instant onion soup mix
1 cup Riceland Gold Perfected or Long Grain White Rice
1 10 1/2-ounce can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup
1 to 1 1/2 cups chopped baby bella mushrooms, optional
1 soup can unsalted chicken broth (10 1/2 ounces)
1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, crushed
Chopped flat-leaf parsley as garnish, optional
- In a large baking dish, marinate chicken in the bottle of Italian salad dressing overnight in the refrigerator. (Or, at least 4-5 hours.)
- The next day, drain the dressing from the chicken and pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a 3 to 4 quart Dutch oven or casserole, heat butter and Riceland Rice Bran Oil over medium heat. Lightly brown chicken pieces on one side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat and allow to cool slightly. Sprinkle the instant onion soup mix into the Dutch oven. DO NOT ADD EXTRA SALT.
- Spray Dutch oven with nonstick baking spray.
- Stir in rice, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms and chicken broth. Mix well.
- Season with pepper and Italian seasoning; stir well.
- Place chicken on top of rice mixture, browned side up.
- Cover tightly and bake for 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Do not remove lid to check the dish except during the final 1/2 hour.
- Garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley, if desired.
Note: In this recipe, we usually use just chicken breasts or a combination of breasts and thighs. If the breasts are very large, we cut them in half across the breast.