Tex-Mex Chicken and Brown Rice Soup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
½ teaspoon kosher salt
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 4-ounce can green chilies
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
1 15-ounce can chicken broth
3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 15-ounce can sweet corn
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed
¾ cup cooked Riceland Natural Brown Rice
Grated cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Add the onion and ½ teaspoon kosher salt and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until the onion is very tender and beginning to brown around the edges. Add the garlic and green chilies, stirring, for one minute.
- Add all the spices and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, chicken, corn, black beans and bring to a boil.
- Add the cooked rice. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, grated cheese and lime.