White Chocolate Crispy Rice Balls with Cranberries and Pecans
¼ cup unsalted butter plus more for coating hands
5 cups miniature marshmallows
¼ - ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or nutmeg
6 cups crispy rice cereal
1 cup white baking chips
½ cup dried cranberries (not cranraisins)
½ cup toasted finely chopped pecans or walnuts
18 ounces good quality white chocolate
1 Tablespoon Crisco shortening (may need a bit more)
Toppings: colored sugars, chopped peppermint, finely chopped toasted pecans or walnuts, pistachio pieces, freeze dried raspberry dust
- Line a large baking sheet with waxed paper or parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large glass bowl, melt butter in a microwave (Alternately, use a large saucepan on the stove top.)
- Add in miniature marshmallows and melt in 15 second intervals, stirring between each until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Stir in cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Working quickly, add crispy rice cereal, baking chips, cranberries and pecans to marshmallow mixture, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Using a small ice cream scoop for equal portions and buttered hands, firmly compress the rice mixture into 1 ½-inch balls. Place on baking sheet.
- Refrigerate the balls 4 hours or overnight.
- In a small double boiler, melt the white chocolate with 1 Tablespoon Crisco shortening, stirring until completely smooth. May add additional shortening a small amount at a time to make a smooth chocolate coating.
- Working quickly in small batches, roll the chilled rice balls in the white chocolate, turning gently with a fork.
- Transfer to waxed paper-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with desired topping.
- Place baking sheet in the refrigerator 1 hour before transferring to an airtight container or packaging as gifts.
- May be stored at room temperature up to 3 days or refrigerated up to 3 weeks.
Featured on The Riceland Blog