- When I cook my rice it always turns out … too hard, too soft, mushy, gummy. Why?
Just be sure you have the correct rice for the right purpose or recipe you are preparing. Never disturb the rice during cook time. Some other reasons could be: correct measurement of rice and water, inadequate simmer or cook time, correct pot size, appropriate burner size.
- What type of rice should I use when making rice pudding? Sushi? Rice Pilaf?
For rice pudding and sushi, use medium or short grain rice. Use long grain rice for Rice Pilaf.
- What is the best way to cook rice?
A general procedure for cooking long grain rice is the 1-2-3 rule … 1 part uncooked long grain or medium grain rice, plus 2 parts liquid, equals 3 parts cooked rice. Bring 2 cups of *liquid to a boil in a 2-quart heavy saucepan. Stir in 1 cup of rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let steam with the lid on for 2 minutes longer. *You can use meat or vegetable stock instead of plain water. Makes 3 cups cooked rice.
- After cooking my rice, it has a bad taste and/or smell?
It is possible for rice to absorb other smells or odors, while in storage. An additional possibility could be the quality of water in which the rice was prepared.
- Can I cook Riceland® Rice in a conventional oven?
Refer to cooking question number three, and follow the 1-2-3 rule for quantities of rice and liquid, but for the oven … in a shallow pan, use boiling liquid, add rice, stir, cover and bake at 350°F. Cook long grain rice for 25 to 30 minutes; parboiled rice 30 to 40 minutes; and brown rice 50 to 60 minutes.
- Can I use a rice steamer to cook rice?
If you use a rice steamer, follow the manufacturer's directions.
- Can I cook Riceland® Rice in a crock pot?
This is not recommended.
- Can I cook Riceland® Rice in a microwave oven?
Yes, … in a 2-quart microwave-safe dish combine 2 cups of water and 1 cup of rice. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes. Reduce setting to 50% power, microwave for 15 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. If your microwave does not have variable power settings, follow the manufacturer's directions. Also, it is not recommended to cook more than 1 cup of uncooked rice in the microwave.
- Can I cook Riceland® Rice in a pressure cooker?
This is not recommended.
- Can I cook Riceland® Rice in a rice cooker?
Yes, refer to manufacturers directions for the specific rice cooker you have purchased.