Brown Rice and Pepper Casserole
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 bell peppers (red, green, yellow or mix), chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drain but keep the juices for later
3 cups cooked Riceland Natural Brown Rice
Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet. Add onion and bell peppers. Cook over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ½ teaspoon paprika, and sauté for a few seconds. Add tomatoes and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often until vegetable mix thickens.
- Remove from heat, add cooked rice and mix well. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Beat egg with remaining paprika. Add enough water and reserved tomato juice to make ¼ cup. Add to egg and mix until well blended.
- Lightly spray 2 quart baking dish with non-stick spray. Place rice mixture evenly over the bottom of the dish. Add egg mixture on top. Pour ½ cup water around the edge of casserole pan and bake 30 minutes or until top is lightly browned.