Butternut Squash Chicken & Rice Skillet
1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 lb. bone in chicken thighs
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil 1 cup yellow onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups butternut squash, diced
2 cups kale, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh sage, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
2 cups chicken broth
Grated parmesan & pomegranate arils, for garnish
- Add, garlic powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to a small bowl.
- Pat chicken thighs dry and season with spice rub.
- Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add avocado oil and chicken thighs to the pan, skin side down. Sear for 4-6 minutes on each side.
- Remove chicken from the pan and let rest on a plate.
- Add onions and garlic to the skillet. Sauté for 2 minutes. Next, add butternut squash, sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring throughout.
- Add in kale, sage and thyme. Stir and sauté until the kale is wilted.
- Add in rice and chicken broth, stirring to incorporate all the ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Nestle the chicken thighs, skin side up, in the rice mixture. Cover and cook rice for 35-40 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Garnish with grated parmesan cheese and pomegranate arils. Enjoy!
Recipe and images courtesy of Joyful Healthy Eats