Cheesy Fried Potatoes and Rice
5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup Riceland Plump & Tender Medium Grain Rice
1 10.5-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 10.5-ounce soup can of water
1 box chicken-flavored vermicelli rice
1 14.5-ounce chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional but recommended)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In a large skillet sautéthe onions over medium heat until translucent.
- Add the diced potatoes and continue cooking until the potatoes are almost completely soft, stirring often, about 10 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the vermicelli rice according to package directions.
- In a large bowl combine the cream of chicken soup, soup can of water, chicken broth, black pepper and smoked paprika.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the onions, potatoes, vermicelli rice and cooked Riceland rice.
- Stir until completely combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle evenly with sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 400 for 40-50 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted and browned slightly.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot.
(2000 Riceland Rice Cook-Off Best Vegetable by Sandra Phillips, Weiner, Arkansas)