Chicken Biryani with Brown Rice
1 ½ cups Riceland Natural Brown Rice, uncooked (soaked in water for 3-4 hours)
Salt, to taste
2 1-inch cinnamon sticks
3-4 green cardamom
2 tablespoons canola oil
3 ½ cups chicken (1½-inch pieces on the bone)
¼ teaspoon turmeric
1-inch piece of ginger, roughly chopped
5-6 garlic cloves
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
¾ tablespoon green chutney
½ cup yogurt
½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
¼ cup milk
1 cup fried onions
2 tablespoons Desi ghee
Rose petals, a few
Rose water, a few drops
Kewra water, a few drops
Fresh mint leaves for garnish
- Heat sufficient water in a deep non-stick pan, add rice, salt, cinnamon, cloves, green cardamoms and cook 40 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in another non-stick pan. Add chicken, turmeric powder and salt, and sauté. Grind ginger, garlic and onion, and add to the chicken. Mix well. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add green chutney, taste for salt and mix well. Add yogurt and mix. Add garam marsala powder and mix again.
- Heat oil to medium high, and add onions. Fry onions in hot oil until crispy. Add fried onions to chicken and mix. Cook until slightly dry.
- Combine saffron and milk in a small bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside.
- When the rice is almost done, strain it into a bowl. Add desi ghee and mix. Spread the rice over the chicken. Sprinkle rose petals, saffron milk, rose water, kewra Jal, garam masala powder and a few fresh torn mint leaves on top.