Great-Grandmother's Risi Bisi (Rice with Peas)
2 cubes vegetable or chicken bouillon
4 cups water
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups uncooked Riceland Long-Grain Rice
2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
½ to 1 cup Parmesan cheese
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. In a medium bowl, dissolve bouillon cubes in 2 cups of the water.
Note: I substituted 2 cups of chicken broth for the bouillon cubes and 2 cups of water.
2. In a large pot that has a tight cover, cook garlic and onion over medium heat until the onion is transparent. Don’t let the garlic turn brown!
3. Turn off heat right away and pour in rice.
4. Stir in the 4 cups of water and dissolved bouillon (or 2 cups water water and 2 cups chicken broth) and cook on highest heat until mixture boils.
5. Lower heat to maintain simmering boil and place lid on pot. Do not remove lid.
6. Cook for 25 minutes.
7. If using frozen peas, soak them in warm water.
8. When rice is cooked, stir in Parmesan cheese, add peas, and then sprinkle with nutmeg to serve.