Heart-Healthy Beef Stroganoff
1 pound boneless sirloin, cut across the grain into thin strips of about 2 inches
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 - 4 Tablespoons Rice Brain oil or canola oil
1 large yellow onion, quarters and coarsely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
8 ounces sliced baby Portobello mushrooms
4 ounces whole baby Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
2 teaspoons hot water
1/4 cup tomato paste (I prefer a double concentrate which comes in a tube.)
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
3 teaspoons Wondra
1/4 teaspoon ground oregano
1/2 teaspoon crushed thyme leaves
3 - 4 cups unsalted beef stock
1 teaspoon coarsely cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup thoroughly drained nonfat Greek yogurt (labneh)
Salt and pepper to taste
Flat-leaf parsley, as garnish
3 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long-Grain Rice
- In a medium bowl, combine sirloin strips with soy sauce and stir until meat is coated; cover with plastic wrap and set aside for at least 15 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, heat 1 - 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until softened.
- Add minced garlic to sautéed onion, stirring 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove onion and garlic to a bowl; set aside. Wipe Dutch oven clean and return to heat.
- Drain sirloin and pat dry, discarding soy sauce. Heat 2 tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Place sirloin pieces in Dutch oven in a single layer and brown on all sides. Do not crown the pan or the steak will stew rather than brown. It may take a couple of batches to do this,
- While sirloin is browning, place sliced mushrooms in a microwaveable dish and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on HIGH, 4-5 minutes. Drain liquid; add to bowl with onions.
- In the Dutch oven, add onions and mushrooms to sirloin strips and begin to brown.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together hot water, tomato paste, dry mustard, Wondra, oregano and thyme leaves until a paste is formed.
- Add 3 cups beef stock to Dutch oven with sirloin and onions. Heat thoroughly and slowly whisk in tomato paste mixture until well combined.
- Stir in coarsely cracked black pepper, kosher salt and whole, stemmed baby portabellas. Place Dutch oven in oven, uncovered and cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 3 hours until the steak is very tender. Add additional beef stock or water as needed.
- Reduce heat and stir in yogurt during the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Do not allow to boil
- Check seasonings. Serve over rice and garnish with chopped flat-leaf parsley.
by The Women Bloggers/Riceland Blogger Debbie Arnold of DiningWithDebbie.net