Lemony Shrimp Scampi with Riceland Gold Perfected Rice
1 cup Riceland Gold Perfect Rice prepared per package directions.*
1 pound shell-on jumbo or extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
3 Tablespoons fine sea salt
2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1 quart very cold water
4 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice, divided use
1 teaspoon cornstarch
7 Tablespoons unsalted butter, divided use
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided use
6-8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper flakes (substitute red pepper flakes)
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
8 ounces all-natural clam juice
8 ounces dry white wine
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
Fine zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley,
1 Tablespoon set aside for garnish (May use more if desired.)
Lemon wedges for serving
- Prepare Riceland Gold Perfected Rice as directed on the package. *I like to substitute unsalted chicken stock for half of the liquid.
- Place peeled and deveined shrimp in a large sealable container.
- Whisk together salt, sugar and water. Pour over shrimp. Cover and refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Drain shrimp and pat dry. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon cornstarch; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Quickly sear shrimp on both sides, but do not cook through. Remove from skillet and set aside. You can skip this step, but I prefer the look of the slightly browned shrimp.
- In the empty skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon butter and 1 Tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add in garlic slices, Aleppo pepper flakes and white pepper. Stir occasionally, 3 - 5 minutes, until the garlic becomes fragrant and just begins to caramelize.
- Increase heat to high and add clam juice, white wine, thyme sprigs, lemon zest and 1 Tablespoon minced parsley. Bring to simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium and add shrimp to skillet. Cook until shrimp is opaque and pink, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spot or spider, remove shrimp to a plate, drizzle with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and set aside
- Increase heat to medium-high and whisk in lemon juice and cornstarch, stirring until broth thickens.
- Remove skillet from heat; stir in remaining butter and parsley (except for garnish) until thoroughly combined. Remove thyme stems. Add in shrimp.
- Serve shrimp and plenty of broth over rice; garnish with minced parsley. Scatter with extra Aleppo pepper flakes, if desired.
- Serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.