For the Salad:
1 bag Riceland Boil-in-Bag Whole Grain Brown Rice
1 cup farro
3 cups unsalted chicken broth
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup diced cucumber
1 cup diced, jarred roasted red pepper
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced baby carrots
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
1/2 to 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
3/4 cup chiffonade of basil
1 Tablespoon lemon thyme leaves
1 cup small cubed feta, if desired (or freshly shaved Parmesan as a garnish)
6 - 8 ounces baby arugula, kale and/or spinach, chilled
For the Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup Riceland Rice Bran Oil
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 medium shallot
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Directions for the Salad:
- Prepare boil-in-bag rice according to package directions. Drain and set aside to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the farro with the chicken broth and salt. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to a slow simmer for 30-45 minutes, until the farro is tender.
- Turn off the heat and allow the farro to sit in the broth for another 15 minutes. Drain and place in a sieve to drain thoroughly. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the brown rice and farro. Mix in the remaining ingredients, except the tomatoes and feta.
- Pour vinaigrette over it all and mix well. Stir in halved tomatoes.
- Toss in feta, if desired.
- Alternatively, garnish salad with shaved Parmesan.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve over salad greens.
Directions for the Vinaigrette:
- Place all ingredients in a food blender and blend until emulsified. Refrigerate until needed.
- Whisk before adding to salad.
Note: Rice and farro may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated until time to prepare the salad.