1 tablespoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil, plus more for frying
1 medium white onion, diced
4 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
¬Ω cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon fresh picked thyme leaves
¬Ω cup basil leaves, finely chopped
¬Ω cup Italian flat leaf parsley leaves, finely chopped
3 large eggs
¬º pound Fontina cheese, diced into ¬Ω-inch cubes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- Heat oil in a saut√© pan. Add the onion, sprinkle with salt to help release the juices and sweat until soft and translucent.
- In a large bowl combine the rice, cheese, herbs, and 1 beaten egg and mix together well with a wooden spoon.
- Form the rice mixture into1¬Ω-inch balls, pressing 1 cube of Fontina cheese into the center as you form the balls. Press the balls together in the palm of your hands so that they are compact.
- Set out 3 bowls, one for the flour, one for 2 beaten eggs and one for the Panko bread crumbs. Dip each rice ball into flour, then egg and then Panko.
- Heat about 4 cups oil to 350¬∞ F in a small pot.
- Carefully place rice balls in oil and cook until golden brown, turning them regularly so that they brown evenly, about 1 minute. Do this in batches so that you do not overcrowd the pot.
- Remove the rice balls and place on paper towel on a rack to drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve with toothpicks on a platter while still warm.