Sausage Spinach and Brown Rice Breakfast Casserole
1 TBSP avocado oil
½ cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup brown rice
4 cups baby spinach
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, and divided
16 oz. breakfast sausage
1 dozen eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Place onion and garlic in the pan, and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent and tender. Add vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Stir in the brown rice, and let the broth return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until all the liquid has absorbed.
- Remove the rice from the stove, and place in a large bowl. Stir in baby spinach and half of the cheese. Set aside to let cool slightly.
- While the rice cooks, heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and cook, stirring often to crumble, until the sausage is cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Drain and add the sausage to the rice mixture. Once the mixture has cooled slightly, add the eggs, and stir just until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 13X9-inch baking dish. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the eggs are just cooked through. During the last 5 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and cook just until melted and bubbly. ENJOY!