Smoked Chicken, Crab and Rice Gumbo
3 slices peppered bacon, chopped
1 10-ounce bag Pictsweet seasoning blend
3 links smoked sausage
2 cups fresh or frozen sliced okra
2 cloves garlic, minced
48 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
1 10-ounce can tomatoes with green chilies, blended
1 teaspoon Thick-it-Up™, xanthan gum (may also use cornstarch)*
2 Tablespoons Pickapeppa Sauce™
1 Tablespoon Liquid Smoke™
4 cups cubed, smoked chicken (Thighs tend to have more flavor.)
1 pint lump crab
1 cup uncooked Riceland white or brown rice, prepared according to package directions (Recommendation: Riceland’s Gold Perfected Rice for this gumbo.)
- In a large stockpot, cook chopped bacon over medium-high heat until it just begins to crisp.
- Add in Pictsweet™ seasoning blend and sauté 3-4 minutes until vegetables are softened.
- Add sliced smoked sausage and sauté until okra softens; add minced garlic and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth to vegetables.
- Blend tomatoes with green chilies with 1 teaspoon Thick-it-Up™ or other thickener; add to okra-broth mixture.
- Stir in Pickapeppa Sauce™ and Liquid Smoke.™
- Lower heat to simmer; continue to simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- Prepare rice according to package directions; set aside.
- During final 30 minutes of cooking, stir in smoked chicken and crab.
- Lower heat to a slow simmer until serving.
- Add 1/2 cup rice to serving bowls and top with ladles of gumbo.**