Spicy Cheesy Chicken and Saffron Rice Bake
1 cup Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
1 sweet onion
2 tablespoons butter
pinch of saffron threads
1 pound of carrots, peeled and sliced on diagonal
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
1 ½ cup whole milk
6-ounce cream cheese
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 pound chicken breasts or tenders
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon sea salt
- Boil water and add rice and cook until al dente, approximately 15 minutes.
- Slice onion and add to Dutch oven on medium-high heat with butter. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add saffron and jalapeno, stir and re-cover pot.
- Drain rice and put in pot with onions and add carrots. Stir thoroughly and turn off heat.
- Preheat oven to bake 350 degrees.
- In a small pot, add milk and cream cheese and stir until cream cheese is melted over medium heat. Add mustard and curry powder. Stir and turn off heat.
- Pour cheese mixture over rice and add chicken. Mix thoroughly with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1 hour and remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!