Taramahoota Pollo Sopa con Arroz
Rice (prepared in the 3 in 1 cooker takes 6 minutes cooking time plus cooling time)
1 cup Riceland Long-Grain White Rice
2 cups water or chicken broth
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon Riceland Rice Bran Oil or canola oil
- Cook according to rice cooker or package directions.
- When rice has completed cooking, remove the pan from the heat, fluff with a fork, cover with a clean kitchen cloth and replace the lid.
- Allow the rice to cool completely before removing lid and towel. Fluff and set aside in a separate container.
Two very large bone-in, skin on chicken breasts, cut in half crosswise
1 10- ounce package Pictsweet frozen seasoning blend (or 1 large onion, chopped, two stalks celery, thinly sliced, ½ cup chopped red bell pepper)
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 14 ½-ounce can tomatoes with green chilies (I prefer Rotel Hot because we like it spicy. The Mexican variety also works well.)
1 32-ounce container low-sodium chicken broth
1 large cube Knorr chicken bouillon (Two small)
1 15 -ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped plus more for garnish
1 ripe avocado, cubed
1 lime, juiced
Salt to taste
(Directions are for preparation in a 3 in 1 Pressure Cooker/Slow Cooker/Rice Cooker.)
- In the pressure cooker insert, place all ingredients except black beans, cilantro, avocado, lime and salt.
- Set pressure cooker to cook on HIGH for 10 minutes.
- Allow pressure to come down naturally for 10 minutes; release pressure, remove lid and remove chicken pieces to a bowl. Cool enough to handle.
- When the chicken can be handled, remove bones and skin and roughly shred chicken.
- 5, Return the chicken to the soup pot. Stir in the black beans and cilantro.
- Set the slow cooker function to LOW; place lid on cooker and allow the soup to cook for 3-4 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in lime juice and 2 cups cooked rice (additional rice may be added as desired.)
- Taste for seasoning.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and avocado.
- Serve with tortilla chips, if desired.
Note: If you plan to freeze leftover soup, add rice to individual soup bowls instead of to the soup pot.
Variation: 1) Use 1 cup cooked quinoa and 1 cup cooked rice to replace 2 cups rice. 2) Add 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn along with the black beans.
Featured on The Riceland Blog