Unstuffed Hungarian Cabbage Roll Soup
2 Tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil
1 32-ounce package Italian style frozen meatballs
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
6 cups coarsely chopped green cabbage
1 32-ounce package unsalted beef stock
3 cups spicy V-8 Juice (substitute regular)
6-8 ounces chili sauce
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 dried bay leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt (or salt substitute)
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika (substitute smoked paprika)
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
1/2 - 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 cups prepared Riceland Long Grain Gold Perfected Rice
1 1/2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Water, if needed
Shaved parmesans and minced parsley as garnish, if desired
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat Riceland Rice Bran Oil over medium-high heat. Add in frozen meatballs and brown on all sides; remove to a paper-towel lined plate and set aside.
- Add onion to Dutch oven and sauté until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add in minced garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add chopped cabbage to onion mixture and sauté just until slightly softened. Return meatballs to Dutch oven.
- Pour beef stock, V-8 and chili sauce over it all.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except rice and vinegar. (The soup may be transferred to a slow cooker at this point, if desired).
- Cover the soup pot and simmer 25-35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Just before serving stir in cooked rice.
- If soup is too thick, add in water as needed
- Remove soup from heat and stir in vinegar. Adjust seasonings.
- Let the soup rest 10 minutes and remove bay leaves before serving.