Make the Taste of Comfort
Home-cooked meals to satisfy your taste buds and your soul. We’re getting closer to Spring, but with cold days still in the mix, we wanted to share recipes that are both warming and delicious.
Chipotle Chicken and Rice Soup
2 tablespoons Riceland Rice Bran Oil
1 cup matchstick carrots
1 cup celery, diced
1 small onion, diced
3 teaspoons garlic, minced
1 cup milk
1 can cream of chicken soup
6 cups chicken broth, divided
½ teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon cumin
1 cup Riceland Long Grain Rice, uncooked
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded (or 3 cups shredded cooked chicken)
2 tablespoons diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
salt and pepper, to taste
shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, sauté carrots and celery in oil for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for an additional 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and sauté, stirring frequently for 2 additional minutes.
- Add milk and soup. Stir until well combined.
- Add 4 cups of chicken broth, oregano, and cumin. Stir. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cook rice according to package directions, replacing the water with 2 cups chicken broth. Shred the chicken.
- Add cooked rice, shredded chicken, and chipotle peppers to soup mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Heat through.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese if desired.
- Eat and enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie
2 tablespoon butter
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¾ tsp dried thyme leaves
½ teaspoon rubbed sage
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 ribs of celery, chopped
1/3 cup flour
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables (16oz)
3 cups cooked Riceland Extra Long Grain Rice
2 cups cooked chopped chicken
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 can of cream of chicken soup
½ cup sour cream
¼ cup Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried parsley
Nonstick cooking spray
Canned biscuits (12oz)
1 stalk of green onions, finely chopped
- Heat butter in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, garlic, thyme, sage, ¼ black pepper, and celery. Sauté until onions are tender, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add flour; cook and stir 1-2 minutes. Whisk in broth; cook, whisking 4-6 minutes or until sauce boils and thickens.
- Microwave frozen vegetables according to bag instructions and stir in Dutch oven. Add rice, chicken and parsley; cook stirring 2-3 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to bake 425 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, mix cream of chicken, parmesan, dried basil, salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and dried parsley until thoroughly mixed. Add to Dutch oven and stir. [Here’s a fun tip: At this point, this will make an excellent chicken pot pie soup!]
- Note: this may be prepared one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before baking.
- Spray 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray and pour mixture into pan.
- Cut each biscuit into fourths and place on top of casserole, spacing evenly. Top with green onions.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes until filling is bubbly and biscuits are golden brown. Serve immediately. Also tastes excellent the second day.
Chicken & Rice Chili
1 cup Extra Long Grain Riceland Rice
3 cup chicken broth, divided
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound ground chicken
1 packet taco seasoning
2/3 cups water
1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 16 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Optional-Shredded cheese, sour cream, jalapeños, guacamole and your favorites
- Cook 1 cup of rice in 2 cups of the chicken broth according to package directions.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or till translucent.
- Add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add ground chicken and break up while cooking. Let cook until chicken turns white.
- Mix in cumin, taco seasoning, and water until well combined. Cook down for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, remaining chicken broth, beans, corn, and salt and pepper.
- Bring to simmer, cover and reduce the heat to low for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Load chili in your bowl with your favorite toppings. Eat and enjoy!